How to Avoid Having your Assets Wrongfully Siezed by Ohio’s CSEA

Update April 6, 2011 23:00: I happened upon the following shortly after posting the blog entry below. I know from experience that just because a “Child Support” Extortion Agency labels someone a “deadbeat dad” and alleges he owes “X amount of dollars in arrears”, that doesn’t make it so. That said,  this story is worth reading as it only confirms what I’ve said below.

Additionally, notice in the story how the Arizona “Child Support” Enforcement representative (Veronica Ragland) makes the “false” claim,

“And his two children, who are now adults, should see some of that money.”

Really Ms. Ragland? Is that so? And on what basis do you make such a claim, did the mother who’ll receive that cash tell you so? Or, are you flat out lying as many CSEA employees do? Studies show that only about 30-35% of “child support” payments are spent on the children of the order. The rest of the money is spent by the custodial parent to support “their” lifestyle. Additionally, that 30-35% is considered to be a generous amount. The real amount is thought to be lower.

Finally, notice what else Ms. Ragland is quoted as saying in the article,

“”If there’s a child support obligation, we go after it,” said Veronica Ragland of the Arizona Department of Economic Security’s Child Support Enforcement. She said they will take everything from a person’s retirement account to inheritances.”


I’ve thought long and hard about whether or not to post information such as this for numerous reasons, one of which is that it could possibly assist those who have legitimate arrears that should in fact be paid. And that is NOT my intent, nor the purpose of this organization.

However, there are countless fathers like myself who’ve wrongfully had assets seized (such as my current wife’s tax return) and thereby effectively stolen from them via the CSEA’s thievery, so as to satisfy an illegitimate “child support” arrears that never existed. It’s for those people, who DON’T have a legitimate arrears, that I am providing this information.

I’ve spoken to fathers who’ve had thousands (in one case $24,000) debited from their checking and or savings accounts by Ohio’s “Child Support” Extortion Agency (CSEA). Keep in mind that in situations where a mistake is made, a father just can’t get his money back.

The CSEA plays the role of a thief, also known as the “man-in-the-middle” whereby they steal the obligor’s income (the father in 83% of cases nationwide) through a theft known as a payroll transaction, take “their cut,” then turn the money over to the obligee which is the mother in most cases.

So when mom spends the money (studies show most of it is spent on her and NOT the children involved in the order) it’s gone, period. That said, if a mistake has been made, or on the off chance the CSEA admits to an error or it’s ordered by the court that the monies should be refunded to the father what do you think happens?

I for one can testify that it takes YEARS for a father to get that money back, there are no fees refunded to him, no interests, and if there’s a change of custody (whereby the father is named the custodial parent and no longer pays child support) or the mother passes, he may never see that money.

I’m nearly $7,500 “overpaid” in my “child support” obligation. Monies were taken from me that never should have been. The  court was motioned for my monthly “child support” to cease until the arrears was at zero, but the court didn’t rule in such a manner. It ruled that my monthly “child support” obligation should be lowered a paltry $100 per month. At that rate, I won’t have my own money given back to me for more than 6 years. I won’t get interest, nor will the CSEA’s fees (the money they charged me to take my money) be refunded to me.

Should I be awarded custody in the mean time, I’ll never see that money again.  Additionally, Moria Weir of the Hamilton County CSEA was ordered two months ago by a Hamilton County Judge to reduce my monthly obligation by $100 as explained. She continues to refuse to do so.

However, Ms. Weir willfully refuses to comply with said order and is now in contempt of court. It’s for that reason (Ms. Weir’s direct contempt) coupled with a recent email I just received that I’ve decided to post this information.

A father just informed me that his savings account was cleaned out by one of Ohio’s CSEAs for an arrears that he too “didn’t” have. His option? Pay an attorney between $2,500 and $5,000 to file a motion to get his own money back. That is court and government-sanctioned theft, period.

Therefore, I’d like to dedicate this post to Moria Weir, Director, Hamilton County Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services “Child Support” Enforcement Agency (CSEA) as my “Thank You” for her direct contempt whereby she refuses to return thousands of dollars that are rightfully mine, and my daughter’s.

You know who my daughter is, right Ms. Weir? She’s the child that your agency claims to only act in the best interests of. That said, please tell me how it’s in her best interests that you refuse to return my money as you were ordered to by the court?

There are many things my daughter needs, and that I’d like to buy, but I can’t do so because you refuse to return the monies owed to my daughter’s father-me. Again I ask Ms. Weir, how is that in her “best interest?”

It’s certainly not in my “best interest,” not that you care, after all you’re in contempt as it relates to my case. From what I can ascertain Ms. Weir, it’s mainly in your agency’s best financial interest not to return my money, because that’s less money you’ll “profit” on if you comply with the court’s order right? To elaborate, your “poundage fee” will be reduced if you lower my monthly “child support” obligation as you were ordered to by the court correct?

As a matter of fact Ms. Weir, isn’t it true that the longer you drag out the lowering of my “child support” obligation, and the longer you defy that Hamilton County Judge by choosing to remain in contempt, the more profits you can bring to your agency as well as the state of Ohio?

Back to addressing what I’ve titled in this post; if you only have a court ordered “child support” order against you, but especially if the CSEA  falsely alleges that you are in arrears, then I personally would do the following if it were me in your position:

1. I would own no property whatsoever that’s subject to liens. Property such as cars, houses, boats, RVs, jet skis, motorcycles, and anything that has a title to it. Reason being, Ohio’s CSEAs will place unjust liens on such property. I know this, because it was done to me by the Hamilton County CSEA. Said properties are better off titled to someone you trust, assuming they’re willing to assume the inherent risk from doing so.

2. Have no savings, checking, CDs, or investment accounts with your social security number on the account. The CSEAs search bank account records by Social Security number. So if your SS number shows up on one of the aforementioned accounts, the CSEA will clean the account out. And, it DOESN’T matter if it’s a joint account with your girlfriend, fiance, mom, dad, sister, wife etc etc. If your social appears on the account the CSEA will seize all monies in the account and tell the joint account owner (whomever that may be, wife, child etc) “prove” we took your money and not his, and they’ll keep it if you’re unsuccessful in your efforts to prove whose money it was.

Grant it, if you fight with them long and hard enough, you can get the other person’s money back in some cases if you can indeed ”prove it was theirs.” But don’t for one moment think that that the ‘Child Support’ Extortion Agency won’t fight you, your wife, girlfriend (or whomever the other person was) tooth and nail in their slimy efforts to keep that money. As far as they’re concerned, the person sharing the account with you is just as guilty as you, and despite you being innocent of the arrears they accuse you of having.

3. Avoid at all costs if you can, getting an income tax refund. If the CSEA alleges you have an illegitimate arrears, they’ll seize your “joint” or individually filed tax return. Once again, they’ll tell your wife “prove that was your money” and keep it. Keep in mind that you DO NOT want to break any laws. This IRS tax withholding calculator can help you decide. If you claim too many dependents, you could end up owing money. Therefore, it’s best to seek the advice of a professional tax adviser before making any tax related changes such as these.

4. If you play the lottery, receive an inheritance, or receive a large settlement from a lawsuit or any type of settlement, the word is “mum.” Perhaps someone you trust could handle such affairs in confidence. Also be very careful about where you put that money. If you cash your own lottery ticket, you’ll be required to provide your social security number if it’s a substantial amount of money, and your social security number will be run through a “child-support” database.  If Ohio’s CSEA discovers those funds and alleges you have an illegitimate arrears, they’ll seize the money. Assuming you do have a legitimate arrears, don’t count on the CSEA to seize the proper amount of money, they’ll seize whatever they choose, and I’m “not” being sarcastic or facetious in saying that. So think hard about how you collect your winnings.

If you inherit a large sum of money, seek the advice of a competent attorney and be certain to advise them that the CSEA is falsely alleging you have a “child support” arrears. If that money shows up in any accounts with your social security number on it, consider it gone, and it’ll be taken without warning!

5. If you suddenly find yourself with a large amount of money (which I truly hope is only acquired via legal means); again, the word is “mum.” The fewer people that know, the better. Rest assured that as sure as the sun rises, if you run your mouth about it, it’ll find it’s way back to the CSEA. They’ll label it “income” and raise your ‘child support’ obligation by unconscionably and financially unbearable amounts. Or, If the CSEA alleges you have an illegitimate arrears, they’ll seize your money.

6. If you are self-employed (for example 1099) and are paid directly whether it be cash, check or money order, the CSEA in most cases (especially in cash transactions) is unable to wrongfully size money for an illegitimate arrears that they falsely allege you owe.

Finally, a legal disclaimer: What’s contained herein is not to be construed as legal advice in any manner whatsoever. What I’m offering here is my opinion only. You should seek the advice of a competent attorney before acting upon any information found on this blog. Failure to consult a competent attorney could be detrimental to you, or your family, or your friends, or others, or your case.

In closing, and for those of you who remember; do you recall the days when the IRS was considered vicious and out-of-control in how they effected their collections efforts? Well Ohio’s CSEAs (and all CSEAs nationwide for that matter) make the IRS of old seem impotent. If the old IRS were to be compared to a beagle for instance, the CSEAs of today are to be considered insane, rabid and psychotic pit bulls that weren’t intentionally loosed, but rather they “broke free” of the 3/8″ thick chains they were yoked to and are now out-of-control and running wildly.

Tony Fantetti
Ohio Council for Fathers Rights
Email: tony.fantetti(at)ocffr(dot)org

Click on pen to Use a Highlighter on this page

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to How to Avoid Having your Assets Wrongfully Siezed by Ohio’s CSEA

  1. charles w. says:

    thanks for posting your story about hcjfs. i have my own issues with them and i’m in need of a good civil attorney in the cincinnati area if you know any please. it’s taken me 8 years to prove to them that caseworker withheld information from the courts , added over $ 7k to my areears, threw out the controlling court order along with my rights and let me be arrested on a capis that i already went to court on. i got them to do a new audit in sept. 2010 and they removed over $ 11k in false debt. so now its time to make them pay. acording to ms. wier no errors and no wrong doing ever happened in this case. i’m guessing that full faith and credit for child support orders, the fair cedit reporting act,due process, fraud upon the courts and the u.s. constitution means nothing to this bunch of thugs. the good part is i still have some money to fund my lawsuit but i need the name of a good attorney in cincinnati. please help it you can . thankyou

    • Tony Fantetti says:


      I suggest Tom Eagle out of Lebanon Ohio. He’s who I use as my own attorney and I’m very impressed with skills. Additionally, he had no reservations about threatening Ms. Weir with Contempt as it related to my order.


  2. George says:

    can they lien your property or seize your accounts if you have a court ordered agreement to pay back the arrears? im scared they will take my stuff and money even though I am paying as agreed on the sizable arrears I still owe.

    • Tony Fantetti says:

      “Can” they? They can and do anything. My question would be, is the CSEA explicitly bound to the agreement, and do they have a copy of the agreement. My personal opinion is that they are bound to it, and if that’s indeed the case, and they still seized your assets, then the CSEA (more specifically their Directory) would be in contempt. If it were me in your position, I still wouldn’t have property in my name, and here’s why; if you miss one payment under that agreement you mentioned, then you aren’t “paying as agreed”, and I’d expect the CSEA to start seizing your assets.

  3. carrie says:

    Thank you, you have summed them up exactly..Pitt bulls. They are nasty. They have lumped all men into one category…dead beat and will treat anyone in contact with the obligor the same way. Received a letter in the mail today, seizing our joint account. I
    Have to prove what money mine, good thing theres nothing in it…
    Lol !!!!!

  4. Veronica Hamilton says:

    Stark county CSEA is just as awful as Hamilton county. My husband went to court to fight the alleged amount that his ex-wife said he owed her. The original child support order came from Florida. My husband had a Florida document from the Florida CSEA that stated he was paid in full and did not owe his ex-wife any arrearage money. Well Stark County chose to over ride Florida and still accepted the handwritten statement from my husbands ex-wife stating he owed her $25,000. Then Stark County CSEA added $700 in fees. They have now started intercepting our state and federal returns. This is so sad. The worst part is that when we went to court the financial affidavit that my husbands ex-wife filled out shows that she is not spending the money on the child. Although child support should end in two years she will still collect arrears until they are paid off.

    My husband is a good father. He does not deserve to be treated unfair because CSEA has a personal grudge against fathers. They need to remember that a child needs both parents. A father is not a cash cow. He is a father.

    Thank you for all this information. We will make sure that there aren’t any assets in my husbands name.

    Veronica Hamilton